I've always wanted to write a kind of 'my favourite things about Winter/Christmas post' so to celebrate the launch of Littlewoods new Christmas advert, I've been invited to write about just that and it's safe to say it's got me feeling so festive. It was also really nice to look back at some of my favourite Winter photos too. If you read Emtalks a lot, you'll know that I love writing personal posts. I've been wanting to write a kind of 'my favourite things about Winter' post or 'my favourite things about Christmas' post for so long so this is perfect. It really is the little things that matter and today I want to show you that and talk about my favourite things about Christmas, looking back at these photos made me so nostalgic. Fancy gifts are all well and good, but for me, it truly is the little things that make my Christmas. Let's go, hopefully this makes you feel all festive!
These are a few of the little things that make Christmas special for me:
- Putting Up The Tree - I love nothing more than seeing Christmas trees everywhere, decorating my own tree, getting out the baubles from the loft and looking through them all. Once the tree is up,it's safe the say the chocolates on it don't last longer than a day! As much as I love new baubles, it's the old school ones that we've had since I was a child that I love the most.
- Getting Friends And Family Together - I only see some of my family members at Christmas time, it's so nice to have everyone in one room once a year. We do an annual family Christmas eve meal and have done for as long as I can remember, it's actually one of the best parts of Christmas for me. My birthday is on 22nd December so Christmas and my birthday always tend to roll into one, here I am enjoying birthday celebrations with my friends last year. It's the one time of the year that we're all together.
- Eating Cheeselets and Drinking Shloer - When I was younger, Shloer used to be 'childrens alcohol' and the children were allowed it as a treat. Even now, I feel like it's a bit of a treat. It feels weird drinking it when it isn't Christmas time. My Mum always gets it out during December. The same with Cheeslets, those little addictive squares. They're always on offer at Christmas time and we seem to eat them for the whole of December.
- Getting Cosy in New Pyjamas - I have this rule that most of Christmas should be spent wearing pyjamas. Last year, I refused to go to my boyfriends house because for the last 21 years of my life, I have worn pyjamas all day every day on Christmas day. It's the one day of the year where it's acceptable. I always change into a brand new, fluffy set especially for the festive day ahead.
- Wrapping - I love sitting and looking at all the gifts I've bought and wrapping them up. I'm not good at wrapping and I often get into fights with the sellotape but I feel so accomplished when I've got a pile of pretty presents under the tree.
- Treating Those I Love - I really do love treating people. I find it so much easier to buy gifts for those around me than myself. I always end up wasting far too much money on random, pointless gifts which I think are sentimental or funny. But hey, nothing beats the smile on someones face when they open something that they really like from you.
- Ice Skating - I've always loved ice skating and nothing makes me feel more festive than skating on a rink. I lived in Canada for a year (read about that here) and we had frozen lakes everywhere, unfortunately the UK lacks that (at least it doesn't get cold enough for that) but I really do miss skating every day.
- Christmas Lights - There's something about pretty, twinkly lights that does something to me. I just cannot get enough of gorgeous lights. They give me that warm, fuzzy feeling. I'm happiest when holding hands, wearing mittens, walking through streets lined with Christmas lights.
- Mince Pies - If you follow me on social media (@emshelx) - you'll know that I'm a little bit obsessed with mince pies. I don't even really like mince but give me a sweet mince pie and I'll love you forever. Nothing beats a crunchy mince pie by the fire.
- Mulled Wine - If I ever want to get in the festive mood, I'll grab some mulled wine. Nothing beats mulled wine in Winter (and I don't even like red wine but for some reason, I adore mulled wine). It's one of those special 'only at Christmas time' things.
- Christmas Markets - My love for mulled wine brings me onto Christmas markets. Nothing beats going to a cute festive market. In Leeds, we have the Leeds German Christmas market and it excites me so much every year. I feel so festive as soon as it arrives.
- Christmas Dinner - I love Sunday dinner as it is, but nothing beats Christmas dinner. Give me all the turkey (I only really eat turkey at Christmas time), all the Marks and Spencers desserts and of course, Yorkshire Puddings!
- Wearing Earmuffs - Like wearing mittens, I always feel so festive when I'm wearing earmuffs. The bigger and the fluffier, the better.
- Christmas Shopping - I'm probably the only person in the world who enjoys Christmas shopping. I'm like a magpie, I always hover towards the sparkly stuff. I can just never get enough of shiny things that are 'Christmas specials'.
- Christmas Crackers - Nothing beats Christmas crackers. As much as I adore all the amazing beauty crackers out at the moment, old school crackers with rubbish jokes and ugly party hats seriously take some beating.
- Stockings - Much like crackers, I love Christmas stockings. Every year, we walk into our lounge on Christmas morning and me and my brother have two stockings filled with lovely little gifts. I think Christmas stockings are so necessary.
- Christmas Films - Nothing beats getting snuggly under a duvet and watching Christmas films. I absolutely love The Holiday, even though it isn't very Christmassy, it just makes me feel so festive.
- Snow Angels - And when it does eventually snow in the UK? We all head to our local hill, sledge, have snowball fights and then make snow angels.
You can watch Littlewoods new video below and check out their new Christmas range here. I'm so excited to have taken part in the #MakeTheirChristmas campaign focused on what little things I love about Christmas. Do leave a comment and let me know what little things you love about Christmas. I'd love to know if you feel the same!
Don't forget, you can read my Men's Christmas Gift Guide here and my Women's Christmas Gift Guide here! Plus, my Top Gifts Under £15 for him and her here!
*I worked with Littlewoods on this post but as always it's 100% my honest opinion.
Lots of love, Em x
Don't forget to follow me on bloglovin! to stay up to date with my posts!
I would also love it if you could subscribe to me on YouTube here!