If you read my blog a lot you'll know that I am hooked on moisturising. I recently filmed a video about some of my favourite gradual tanners and body oils and this month it felt nice to use a proper moisturising lotion again. As much as I love body oils for the nice natural glow they give me, I got a little bit sun burnt on my recent trip to Ibiza and have just felt the need to use a soothing moisturiser recently so this really did come in handy! I was sent this gorgeous package at the start of the month by Aveeno and challenged to share my skincare secrets with you... here we go!
I eat oats pretty much every day so I was excited to put an oaty moisturiser to the test. I'm pretty sure there's only one oaty product I've ever used and this was a face mask! I actually loved how soft it made my face so I slathered it all over my body to make myself feel all smooth haha! You may remember that from my beauty secrets post last year.
The moisturiser itself comes in a really nice big bottle, 300ml. I don't like to be careful when it comes to moisturising, I like to just coat my body in it so it's important that I have a nice big bottle with a good pumping action. The packaging is plain and pretty, it goes nicely with my bathroom. The lotion itself smells really nice even though it's fragrance free, I think it smells fresh and clean with a little hint of Summer maybe?! It isn't greasy at all (I hate greasy moisturisers) and it's clinically proven to significantly improve the condition of dry skin from day one which I like. I'm not a fan of moisturisers which make you feel sticky and moisturised but actually they're not good for your skin. This one is designed to keep your skin moisturised and nourished for 24 hours and I can vouch for that. Best of all it's crazily affordable, at just £5.10 for 200ml and £7.14 for 300ml. I was shocked when I saw the great price tag because usually good, natural products cost a lot. As you'll know if you read EmTalks a lot, I am a lover of natural things for my skin so the naturally active ingredients in this sold it to me.
I actually did quite a lot of research about oats in skincare before using this product as not many products seem to put oats in them so I wanted to know why oats are so good in skincare. All the 'do it yourself' things on Pinterest always say to use oats! We know they're good for us to eat but what about for the skin? Here's what oats do for the skin:
- Increase skin hydration: helps to restore and protect the skin’s natural barrier helping to prevent water loss and maintain moisture.
- Soothes: oatmeal is known for its soothing benefits on sensitive skin
- Cleanses: the oat particles adhere to dirt and dead skin cells allowing them to be washed away
- Protects: creates a protective film on the surface of the skin
- Buffers: helps return skin to normal pH levels
I love how easy this is to apply, sometimes moisturising can be a real bane but I like to stand this on my bathroom shelf and it only seems to take about 2 minutes to fully coat my whole body, it then sinks in so easily and I can get on with my day.
I made a promise to myself and decided that I would ALWAYS moisturise after showering and start drinking more water as a way to make my skin better. I'm usually really good at moisturising particularly during Summer months.
So now I want to share some skincare secrets of my own with you:
- Sleep In A Face Mask - When I've got super dry skin I find sleeping in a hydrating face mask really helps my skin.
- Use A Face Mask On The Body - I'm not sure if you're meant to do this but I've coated my body in a face mask before and then washed it off. I cannot explain how smooth this makes my body!
- Exfoliate The Week Before Going In The Sunshine - If you remove all the dead skin cells before you lay in the sun your tan will usually last longer! So I was once told anyway.
- Drink Water - It's an obvious one and one that I don't do enough, but drinking water is so good for you, it flushes out toxins etc!
- Anti-bacterial Soap - I swear by Cidal soap for my face, it's the only thing that properly clears up my spots. My Mum swears by it as it's the only thing that cleared up her acne. It's just a simple, anti-bacterial soap and I couldn't live without it.
- Wear SPF Every Day, Even In Winter - I've read this so many times but it's important to wear SPF every single day on your face, I always make sure my moisturisers and foundations have SPF in them.
So there are a few of my skin care secrets! I basically just love exfoliating and try to do it at least 3 times a week in the shower and I try to moisturise my body every single day because I just think it looks so much smoother! I've been asked to tag a friend who might like to share their skincare secrets, I choose two oops, I tag Kayleigh, CoutureGirl and Victoria, InTheFrow as they both have beautiful skin and I want to know their secrets! Now I want to hear about your skin care secrets too, just tweet using the #AveenoSkincareSecrets hashtag so I can have a nosey!!!
Do you have any skin care secrets? Do you like any of my skin care tips? Have you ever used any products with oats in them? Do you like the sound of this product?
*This was sponsored by Aveeno but as always it's 100% my honest opinion!
Lots of love, Em x
Don't forget to follow me on bloglovin! to stay up to date with my posts!
I would also love it if you could subscribe to me on YouTube here!