|The Hoxton Hotel, Shoreditch / Bralet / hair by Sassoon|
I'll forgive you if you clicked on this post and instantly Justin Bieber came to mind 'you should go and love yourself', love or hate Justin, he has a point. Valentines day, is a day you either love, hate or ignore. If you read my recent top date night beauty products post, you'll know I choose to embrace the idea of love. Call it consumerism, call it me falling for marketing strategies, I don't care, give me any excuse to spread a little love and show a little love and I'm there. I genuinely do feel all gooey inside when I see cute Valentines notes and gestures. It's the little things that count and hey, if one day a year we can all be soppy, then so be it. Today though, I wanted to touch on a different topic, actually inspired by one of my best friends, who has no Valentine (total lie, because she has me but anyway, more on that later). It's inspired me to talk about the power and importance of loving yourself and why you should never let anyone make you feel less than 100%. Let's chat.
1. Be Kinder To Yourself - This day last year I wrote a blog post called top tips to be kinder to yourself and I still stand by just how important it is to be kinder to yourself, whether that's allowing cheat days, doing yoga, having a bath, getting deep into a book or wearing gorgeous underwear, it really is great for your wellbeing if you treat yourself a little bit. Me time is so important, it clears the mind, resets your batteries and makes you feel amazing. Love yourself first and everything falls into place. Do more of what makes you happy.
2. Love Starts At Home - There's a difference between loving yourself and being arrogant, obviously the arrogance is something we don't want, but at school, we are taught that being over confident is a bad thing but actually, there's nothing wrong with a bit of confidence and some self love. Look in the mirror and tell yourself you look great! What are your favourite body parts? Rather than focusing on what you dislike about yourself, why not write a list and look at what you love about yourself? It's so difficult to write down the things we love about ourselves because we're so hard on ourselves! Your relationship with yourself sets the tone for every other relationship you have.
3. Never Let Anyone Make You Feel Less Than Amazing - I've stayed in relationships for far too long where I feel completely unappreciated. I totally understand that people are busy etc, but if someone doesn't appreciate what they've got, find someone who will appreciate you. Take one of my friends for example, I've told her not to waste her time on anyone just for the sake of it, and to wait for someone who will make her feel like the queen she is. That person is out there. You don't need anyone in your life is doesn't make you feel amazing, it's better to be happy by yourself than to be with someone like that. I've had boyfriends in the past who have made me feel absolutely rubbish, life is too short to waste time on those people. We settle because we think we have to, we feel rushed, we feel pressure from our friends but do not settle for anything less than you deserve. That crappy boy from Tinder who didn't reply? He doesn't deserve you. The boy who cheated? Say goodbye, you do not deserve that and someone will appreciate you more than you can imagine. Read my cheating experience here. The moment you start to wonder if you deserve better, you do. Sometimes you have to walk away from what you want, to find what you deserve.
4. Comparison Is The Thief Of Joy - Never compare. I know it's easier said than done but comparison really is the thief of joy. There is always going to be someone in life who makes you feel like you're not good enough. Take Instagram for example, it could cripple me if I really looked into it enough, but instead, I understand that many people on there only show the best parts of their life, or, the most filtered parts. I also know that these girls work hard for their bodies, so actually, I use it as my inspiration. People may see my Instagram and think my life is perfect, but if you read my recent personal blog post you'll know it's actually anything but with some of the things going on in my life at the moment (read about that here). It just shows, you cannot compare yourself to someone else, you always have completely different circumstances and never know what goes on behind closed doors. You are you, so shake what ya mama gave ya! It doesn't matter what others are doing, it matters what you're doing. Two things prevent us from happiness: living in the past and observing others.
4. You Have To Love Yourself First - Before giving someone your everything, it's so important you are comfortable within yourself, and love yourself first.
5. Do Things For You - I don't work out because I want my boyfriend to fancy me, I don't work out because I want other girls to like my body, I work out because it makes me feel incredible. There's nothing better than those endorphins you get from a workout class or even a walk. I wear nice underwear and tan because it makes me feel great when I look in the mirror. It's about doing things because they make you feel radiant on the inside, which then shines through on the outside.
I know this post is a little bit cliched, but I hope you like it. Please do leave any comments below and let me know your thoughts on this topic!
You might also like:
Lots of love, Em x
Don't forget to follow me on bloglovin! to stay up to date with my posts!
I would also love it if you could subscribe to me on YouTube here!