When I met up with two of my friends recently (Ashley James & Scarlett London) we were discussing how amazing Grandparents are - they're so wise and we can learn so much from them. There and then I decided that I would ask my Grandma what her fool-proof beauty tips are, after all, if anyone knows anything about beauty it would be our Grandmas, they've been around for a long enough time to try and test everything. I know my Grandma is a huge Clinique fan so I was interested to learn more...
1. 'Generally look after yourself from the beginning' - At the age of 77 (she does not look 77!), my Grandma still looks fabulous. I wont show any proper full on photos as I'm not sure she will want her photos all over the internet but she truly does look amazing. This is her main tip and something that I completely agree with, it's a kind of 'you are what you eat' style quote, basically, if you put rubbish into your body, that will show, soon or eventually on your skin, nails, body etc. She's always been like me and eats a little bit of what she loves (lots of desserts then) but is healthy for the majority of the time. I guess that's the 80/20 rule then (read more about that here in my simple guide to health and fitness).
2. 'Put Vitamin oil on face occasionally' - It's interesting that my Grandma condones vitamin oil after all these years and that proves that night oils/day oils (you all know that I swear by Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate) do actually work. I personally love The Body Shop's vitamin E oil, the best £13.00 you will ever spend.
3. 'Don't sit in front of the fire' - I wasn't really sure about this piece of advice as I've never heard it before and I ALWAYS sit in front of the fire in Winter... when I did some research about this it basically said that you can essentially 'toast' your skin and severely damage it if you expose it to direct heat for too long. It can cause rashes and all sorts of skin problems, including burns from the prolonged heat. No more toasting marshmallows for me then!
4. 'Stay out of the sun' - When we go on holiday, my Grandma always manages to get a lovely golden glow but she hardly goes in the sun, I've never seen her sunbathe. After getting a little too much sun exposure in Jamaica I've decided recently not to go in the sun as much as I usually do. I feel naughty on my poor skin, it has to put up with extreme and damaging UV rays and we all know this leads to wrinkles and it can lead to skin cancer too so be careful!
5. 'Don't Cleanse With Water That's Too Hot' - It can make your skin really dry, hot water also apparently makes your skin red and it can remove natural oils from the face too.
75 years worth of beauty knowledge from my Grandma and these are her fool-proof life tips; simple and easy to abide by. Her favourite brands are Clinique and No7 from Boots (perfume free products) - she basically believes in perfume-free products and treating yourself little and often.
I'd love for you to ask your Grandma, Grandad or even Mum about their beauty tips and let me know what they say please! I'd like to dedicate this post to my fabulous Grandma, she is such a huge part of my life and always comes out with the best words of advice, her most recent advice to me was 'enjoy; touch, taste, see, hear, don't rush, stop; look and stare, keep it in your head and heart and bring it all home to remember' and I think I'll carry that with me for the rest of my life. I love you Nanna!
Do you agree with any of her beauty tips? What are your main beauty tips? Has anyone in your family ever told you any of their beauty tips?
Lots of love, Em x
Don't forget to follow me on bloglovin!