Ahh hello everyone, so I guess this is a bit off topic for my blog, as it's not strictly beauty or fashion, but it is very lifestyle so maybe it isn't so off topic. But I'm guessing most of my readers are females, and most of us want a nice Valentines day right? And, even if you are a male reader, I wonder what your views are on Valentines day? Well, this year is going to be my first single Valentine's day, ever. *Gulps*. Quite a scary prospect, but I'm not entirely sure why, I think it's just because I love the idea of a Disney type romance - something which is never going to happen to most of us, but I suppose films mislead us into thinking this. Now, i'm beginning to sound like a V-day scrooge, which I assure you, i'm not. I think it's possibly the most depressing thing ever, doing nothing on Valentines day, as I do think Valentine's day is one of my favourite days of the year. People laugh at me when I say this, but i just love how 'love' is all around on Valentines day. Now, steady on Em, I know we've only just got to January but after watching Tom from Mcfly's wedding speech last night I felt compelled to start a count down to the most romantic day of the year, as today, Valentine's day is only a month away. Tom made me realise that romance isn't dead at all. This made me realise that I should share this video with you and share some loving. Now, V-day is a month away today and not that I have anything to celebrate, but i'm sure little dateless me will be able to do something cute with a friend or my Mum instead. After all, in some Latin American countries Valentine's Day is known as "Día del Amor y la Amistad" (Day of Love and Friendship). Now, if you're wondering what Tom from Mcfly's wedding speech video is, and why it's spurred all of this soppy talk on, watch it below to get in the mood... (warning, you may cry - quite a lot).
So it was this beautiful speech which has spurred me onto my countdown to Valentine's day, so expect Valentines day themed posts including hair, make up and gift guides (i'm a little bit too excited to say that I have no one to celebrate with - I think I may ask my best friend if we can celebrate together, no one wants to spend the day alone right?). I feel it's probably too far away for me to do my gift guide right now, but I think this should get everyone in the mood for some Valentine's loving, whether it's with your girlie friends or the special person in your life. For me, Valentine's day is just cute just because it's valentines day. I've always wanted to go ice skating on the day, or for a cute walk - I have no idea why. Of course fancy meals and roses are a bonus, but for me, Valentines day is about seeing the person who you really like. This year, i'll probably just stay in and depress myself over my favourite romance films; The Notebook, Love Actually, 10 Things I Hate About You, Sweet Home Alabama, A Cinderella Story, What A Girl Wants, No Strings Attached... and the list continues.
So, to conclude, i've found some cute facts about Valentines day:
- Mother's day and valentine's day are the two biggest occasions on which flowers are given,
- Numerous early Christian martyrs were named Valentine.
- In Finland Valentine's Day is called Ystävänpäivä which translates into "Friend's day".
- In Slovenia, a proverb says that "St Valentine brings the keys of roots", so on February 14, plants and flowers start to grow.
- In some Latin American countries Valentine's Day is known as "Día del Amor y la Amistad" (Day of Love and Friendship)
- In Korea, if you do not receive any gift on Valentine's day then all the singles go to Korean restaurants and eat black noodles to mourn their single status.
- Every year around 1 billion Valentine cards are sent across. After Christmas it's a single largest seasonal card-sending occasion.
What are your views on Valentines day?